Wednesday, April 14, 2010

WildFox - Grill, Novato

225 Alameda del Prado
Novato CA 94949
(415) 883-9125
Parking: in parking lot
Hours: Daily 11:30am-2:30pm; Mon-Thurs 5pm-10pm, Fri 5pm-11pm, Sat 4:30pm-11pm, Sun 4:30pm-10pm


Last Visited: April 15, 2010

Food: 2 to 3 stars
Atmosphere: 4 stars
Service: 2 to 3 stars
Price: $$-$$$

Both of my visits to WildFox have been for lunch. For the first visit, I had made a reservation through Open Table and had indicated through the comments that we were having a birthday guest and gave of a description of that person (it was easy since he was the only guy in our party). Everything seemed to be going well. Upon our arrival, I checked in with the hostess and confirmed that they had indeed received the comment about our birthday guest. She acknowledged that she knew about it and that everything was taken care of.

When we sat down, we were asked what drinks we wanted and given very large menus - these things are the size of a dinner tray, and that's before you open the menu. When we ordered, although it was noon, we learned that pizza was not available because the dough wasn't ready. So we chose other dishes. In past visits, our birthday boy had gotten the Asian stir fry, which comes with a choice of beef, chicken, or tofu, with a special combination of chicken and beef. However, upon checking with the kitchen, he was told that they could only accommodate one of those choices unless he wanted to pay an additional amount for the second selection of meat. So far, it was a bit of a rough start.

We moved past these little issues fairly quickly and were asked if we wanted bread and butter with our meal. When there is a party of four, the bread is a quarter of a huge round. It's enormous, which to me was a bit unmanageable. Tables with only two people got more normal sized pieces.

The restaurant reminds me a bit of a ski lounge. It's situated on top of a hill, and has a spacious feel about the restaurant. There is a bar on the side and the kitchen is open. Booths line the side of the restaurant with windows, and there is a back room for larger parties.

- Grilled Reuben (Robert's Corned Beef) Sandwich - Thicker slices of corned beef are accompanied by homemade sauerkraut, Russian dressing, and melted swiss cheese on grilled rye bread. All sandwiches are accompanied by homemade pickles and your choice of soup, salad, or home cut fries. The bread was nicely grilled, although the underside was already starting to get a little soft. I could live with that though, but the sauerkraut wasn't as tart as I like it. The sandwich was fairly average compared to others that I have had, but the good thing is that it wasn't too greasy. The salad was a mixture of baby greens, but as I lifted up the second triangle half of my sandwich, I noticed a bug with wings. It was dead and was probably part of my salad. This was pretty disappointing. You could tell the bug had been dressed by the salad dressing. I chose not to notify the staff because I didn't want to sabotage things for the birthday boy later and continued to avoid that area of the plate. The salad was lightly dressed - it didn't have as much flavor as I like and not all of the salad was well-dressed. The pickles had a nice crunch and flavor. Overall, it was okay except for the bug. $11.95

The lunch seemed to go better for the rest of the folks in our party. After the meal had ended, I was waiting for the waiter to acknowledge our birthday boy, but nothing happened. The check came, and that was it. I was shocked at the lack of communication. If a request goes into Open Table and the hostess is aware of the birthday, there should be something communicated to the waitstaff to acknowledge the birthday. Instead, I walked away disappointed about the bug, the lack of pizza dough availability, and the lack of service in reference to the birthday.

Out of the ordinary circumstances landed me at WildFox again two days later. You can likely tell that it wasn't my choice. Fortunately, this visit was much better. Service was fine and the food was okay.

- Dungeness Crab Cake Benedict - The menu describes this dish as the following: crispy English muffin, seared tomatoes, grilled spinach, poached eggs, chive hollandaise, and rosemary garlic potatoes. There are two towers on the plate along with the sliced potatoes. The muffin was crispy and piled on top was a tomato that I couldn't tell was seared. The spinach was fresh and there was a good amount of it. The crab cake was made with fine pieces of crab meat, not chunks, and had a slightly crispy batter. The poached eggs look like nice ovals that are placed on top of the tower and topped with hollandaise. A few chives are sprinkled on top, but I wouldn't have called it a chive hollandaise. The dish was good, but I did find some crab tentacles in my crab cake. Also, I didn't find any rosemary in my potatoes; in fact, the potatoes were a bit bland, but the portion was good. No bugs, so okay. $12.95

In the end, WildFox has a nice setting for a business lunch, but it isn't in my top list of restaurants. It's one of those places that I will go to when my coworkers select it.

No comments:

Post a Comment