Saturday, November 5, 2011

Boca Pizzeria - Novato

454 Ignacio Blvd, Novato CA 94949
(415) 883-2302
Parking: in shopping center
http://bocapizzeria.com/

Last Visited: September 22, 2010

Food: 3 stars
Atmosphere: 3 to 4 stars
Service: 3 stars
Price: $$ to $$$

Boca Pizzeria is opened up by the same owners as Boca (the steakhouse) in Novato.  While their pizzas are done Neapolitan style and certified by “Verace Pizza Napolitana, ” I found the pizza to be just okay.  According to their webiste, each pizza is cooked for no more than two minutes in a 900 degree Italian wood burning oven.  Also, the flour is double milled 00 Caputo flour; the sauce is made from San Marzano tomatoes imported from Italy, and the mozzarella cheese is house made daily.

Maybe I didn't order something simple enough, but since I've been going to a number of pizzerias in San Francisco and around the Bay Area, in comparison to those, I found Boca's to be good, but not wow enough that I've started taking people there.  That's probably my best gage on food at a restaurant - if I start telling my friends and coworkers and inviting them to go with me, that's how you know they're spectactular places.

The dining area is open with lots of light from the large windows.  The kitchen is open too and you can watch the hustle and bustle, or on a nice day, you can enjoy outdoor seating on the patio.

So far, I've been to Boca Pizzeria twice.  While I don't avoid going there, I haven't found it stellar enough to make more visits.  The open kitchen and high ceilings create a comfortable and open atmosphere.  Outside seating also provides options for those whom enjoy the sun.

- Anson Mills Soft Organic Polenta - Mushroom, Thyme, Balsamic Reduction - The polenta was okay with a creamy texture and nice balsamic reduction. Since it's presented on a plate without anything to really eat it with, it's kind of like sharing a pudding.  It's difficult to share and would be better as a side dish rather than starter - interestingly, the location on the menu actually seemed to make a difference in this case.  I also thought it was a little pricier than it should have been considering the portion.  $7.95

- Prosciutto de Parma Pizza - Prosciutto, arugula, San Marzano tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella top a thin crust pizza.  The flavors were fresh and very Californian in flavor, but not your authentic Italian style pizza.  While that wasn't a bad thing, the combination of ingredients didn't have a wow factor.  Just okay. $14.50

- Farmers Pizza - Pancetta, Yukon gold potatoes, burrata cheese, and egg top a pizza.  I expected the egg to be cooked on the pizza, but instead, it appeared to be an egg that was fried and placed on top of a pizza.  It didn't seem incorporated until I broke the yolk.  The pizza seemed slightly overcooked as some of the cheese had dried a bit or had been sliced too thin.  Another just okay pizza.  $13.95

I found service to be just alright as well.  During my first visit, while she was polite, the server paid more attention to my dining companion and pretty much spoke with him throughout the meal.  During my second visit, the server was more even in speaking with each of us, but I didn't have a particularly memorable experience either way, so I've given them three stars for now.

Boca Pizzeria serves up decent pizza and is good for a change of pace compared to local Novato fare, offering California style pizza creations.  They're also opening a new location in Corte Madera at The Village.

No comments:

Post a Comment