Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Tropical Dreams - ice cream, Hawi, Hawaii

174 Kamehameha Ave
Hilo, HI 96720
(808) 935-9109
Parking: street parking
 
Last Visited: October 2012
 
Food: 3 stars
Atmosphere: 3 stars
Service: 3 stars
Price: $ to $$
 
All of my tour books for the Big Island kept talking about Tropical Dreams.  The sense that it was available on a limited basis (only at their stores and certain stores or restaurants throughout the Big Island) somehow added to the exclusivity of the product.  How could you go wrong with locally made ice cream?  I was determined to get it at their shop rather than at another carrier. 
 
I thought it sounded familiar, and when I saw the flavors being offered, I realized that I get this stuff at home in the SF Bay Area fairly easily - just go to an Asian market.  Unfortunately, when I saw what was in the case, I didn't find the super exotic flavors that I was hoping for - there was green tea, strawberry, and tahitian vanilla, but I didn't see any macadamia nut or ginger flavors. 

Tropical Dreams is known for super premium ice cream.  I ended up trying the coconut cream and it was ok, but not as creamy or rich as I was hoping for.  If you happen to be driving through Hawi, it's worth a stop, but if you make it your destination, and you have access to tropical flavors elsewhere, you might not be as enamored by it.  Sizes available include Keiki, Single, and Double.

Service was ok - nothing too special and salads are other options are available in case you are hungry.  For me, it was just alright.  Having a scoop of Mitchell's or Magnolia at home or even a quart of Tropical Dreams from my local Asian market is sometimes more satisfying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment