Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Taqueria El Farolito - Mexican, South San Francisco

394 Grand Ave, South San Francisco CA 94080
(650) 737-0138
Parking: street parking
http://www.elfarolitoinc.com/

Last Visited: July 11, 2012

Food: 2 to 3 stars
Atmosphere: 2 to 3 stars
Service: 3 to 4 stars
Price: $ to $$

I didn't realize this when I was eating here, but it turns out this place is a chain restaurant with locations in Rohnert Park, San Francisco, Concord, Santa Rosa, Oakland, San Jose, as well as in South San Francisco.

I noticed that the taqueria had gotten good ratings in South San Francisco and decided to check it out.  While it's certainly not a fancy place, it has seating available so I went to check it out for dinner one night. 

You order off the menu above the counter and the guy behind the register was very friendly and patient.   Everything comes in a red plastic basket and all of the utensils are plastic.  There is also a salsa bar and you'll pretty much need salsa since some of the meat is dry.

- Regular Taco Carne Asada  - While there is a lot of meat, this is a bit high in price for a taco.  However you might be almost full if you have a small appetite if you were to eat just one of these.  A lime wedge accompanies the taco.   I found the sauce to be insufficient and needed to get more salsa.  The flavor was okay. $ 6.25

- Super Burrito - The size of the burrito is reasonable, but I found the meat to be dry.  After a few bites, if you don't eat evenly around the burrito, or even if you do, it just lacks moisture and there is a need for salsa.  Be sure to stock up.  $5.80

- Tostada de Ceviche - I liked the fresh avocado on top of the very fresh tasting ceviche.  Of the three dishes I tried, this one was definitely the best.  The contrast between the crunchy tostada shell, the refreshing seafood, and the creamy avocado was great.  I would get this one again.  $4.50




Overall, the tostada was pretty good, but when it comes to the taco and burrito, I thought they were just okay.  The tostada kept the food rating at 2 to 3 stars.  Considering the great competition in this area for Mexican food, I expected more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment