Thursday, July 25, 2013

El Zocalo - Mexican/El Salvadoran, South San Francisco

1633 El Camino Real, South San Francisco CA 94080
(650) 992-1482
Parking: in shopping center parking lot

Last Visited:

Food: 2 to 3 stars
Atmosphere: N/A - take out
Service: 2 to 3 stars
Price: $ to $$

I stood at the counter at El Zocalo for a few minutes before someone came to take my order.  While the place is fairly busy, it does seem strange that nobody acknowledged our arrival, especially when you see staff walking right past you.  After ordering and coming back about ten minutes later to pick up our items, we still had to wait another ten minutes for the food to be ready - it's unclear why the kitchen was so slow.


- Pupusas $1.90 each
Revuelta Original - Pork and Cheese
Queso - Cheese
Between the two flavors that I tried, I prefered the queso.  Even though it was only about five minutes from the time I received the pupusas to the time I ate them, they didn't seem to hold up particularly well.  Both were pretty greasy.  This photos shows two halves - the left is queso and the right is the pork and cheese. 

- Curtido - Curtido is cabbage that has been lightly fermented with carrots, oregano, olive oil, and lime juice.  Think of it as a slaw or light kimchi.  Since I ordered take out, the curtido came in a plastic bag.  I found it rather bland and missing the crunch that you often find with a good slaw.  It wouldn't have been missed if it was absent. 

While they might be slightly better eaten at the restaurant, these pupusas were just okay and the curtido wasn't memorable.  I've definitely had better pupusas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment