Monday, October 5, 2009

Aperitif 2005-2006

December 14, 2006
It's amazing to see how various Japanese restaurants showcase their sushi. For some, it's about rolls and hot concoctions. For the purist, it's about the fine quality of the sashimi and always, it's about the presentation. If only other Asian cuisine could develop the same quality of presentation at more everyday restaurants, as opposed to the beautiful decorations found only at the finest Chinese restaurants. I think people would pay for greater attention to atmosphere and to the china itself. For example, there are beautifully carved carrots, tomato roses, and squash, but these are rarely seen in Chinese restaurants. On the other hand, a number of Japanese places are using the dish itself as a point of presentation. Similarly, you don't see the emphasis on presentation at Thai or Vietnamese restaurants either, though both have become quite mainstream, at least in California. It's interesting to see how people think tempura should taste and look - certainly, some of the local restaurants in suburbia could use some improvement - their thick batters create a large and heavy coating. Hopefully there will be improvement as people continue to develop their taste for it and what it should really be like.


November 2, 2006
Japanese cuisine in California has managed to find a unique niche serving sushi, sashimi, hot dishes, and fusion cuisine. Unlike other Asian cuisine, Japanese cuisine has managed to elevate its presentation and style to the level of European restaurants and cuisine. Pricing, though still affordable in many sushi boat style restaurants, is naturally elevated because of decor, atmosphere, and presentation of dishes. It's admirable how Japanese food has been able to sustain its high quality and master the art of serving food in American and European flare. One of my favorites is fresh, clean flavored sushi. It's unmatched in quality of fish and the presentation is typically simple. Horseneck clam and other more exotic sushi is particularly inviting when the chef goes to the fish market daily and lets you know what is and is not fresh. This special attention is worthy of praise.


October 22, 2006
The more you eat out, the more likely you're going to see more foreign objects in your food. You're probably thinking - okay, but I never have foreign objects in my food. That may be the case, but that's because the rest of us are finding it in our food. So for almost three decades, I have been eating out at numerous restaurants. So far, I've seen band aids (that wasn't in mine, but I saw it in another person's soup), fragments of metal scrubbers, that little towel found underneath prepackaged raw meat, and a clothespin, amongst other things. Today, I heard about a nut (as in nuts and bolts) found in pasta. The list could go on and on. Be wary of the foreign object, but don't let it deter you from eating out.


September 5, 2006
Does the rate at which others around you eat affect the rate with which you eat your food too? I noticed in cafeteria style settings, if multiple people next to me eat quickly, I may also start to pick up the pace. It's an interesting phenomenon. If only one person around you eats fast, and the rest eat slower, does your own rate stay the same? It appears that if one person is eating faster or slower, I am able to control my pace. If multiple people eat faster, I somehow notice that I'm picking up the pace too, as though I too am in a hurry. I wonder if there are eating rate studies. Eating faster really bites into the time needed for chewing your food more to better digestion.


July 4, 2006
The inexperienced restaurant owner - there is a lot to learn. I went to a brand new restaurant this weekend. They had only been open for about three days. There were dishes at tables that had not been bussed, and the dishes remained there the entire time of my visit. It's not even that the people left a few minutes before. It's a bad first impression and a sign of lack of experience or laziness. The second item that caught my eye during this visit was the lack of equal proportions. We ordered two desserts - one came out quite larger than the other. This is great for the person who gets the bigger one, but it's part of uniformity - without it, you'll feel that one is a better deal while the other person is getting shorted. It's all part of experienced public serving.


May 22, 2006
The manager/owner - It's a pretty tough job to set expectations for an entire establishment. When it's a small place, it's definitely easier to control, since usually, it's only a handful of people, and though the atmosphere in the kitchen is almost frantic, the service is still under your control. As the number of employees and patrons grow, it becomes a more difficult job to monitor all that is taking place. It's also difficult to be in the position of visibly being the owner. What do I mean by this? Well, if people know you own the place, you will not only get showered with compliments, but also complaints. Furthermore, people will expect that you be nice. And rightfully so. There's a lot to be said about an owner who knows his or her customers and can build relationship with them. It's even better when they remember names. The owner can make or break the business in terms of how they train their staff, how they set the stage for responding to events, and how they conduct their business. To the great owners and managers out there, I salute you.


January 1, 2006
My coworker has been telling me about how his children have palates that are particularly sensitive to spicy food and flavorful food. Even items with too many spices or flavors is considered 'adult food' in their minds. I would encourage you to continue to challenge your children (and timid friends) to be adventurous. One dear friend told me about how her grandchild has been told that tofu is Chinese bubblegum. I suppose if you can allow children to believe in Santa, you can allow them to believe in Chinese bubblegum. Anyhow, he's eating the tofu, so if you have kids that are afraid of the word tofu, let them try out some Chinese bubblegum.July 18, 2005Quote of Note: "One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf I could not agree more. A happy stomach makes everything else pretty happy :)


June 6, 2005
It's always interesting what stereotypes have been created and how they began. Food stereotypes continue to persist. Chinese food is associated with MSG, sweet and sour dishes, and wontons. Mexican food is often thought of as beans and burritos. Japanese food is sushi. Thai food is satay and curry. American food is meat loaf and fried chicken. In reality, there's just so much more. Many regions have large varieties of seafood. Asian countries especially China, Japan, Thailand, and the like have lots of seafood to offer. Mexico also offers a lot of seafood. Fortunately, people seem to be more savvy with ethnic food nowadays, and as more people become acquainted with different flavors, hopefully a better quality of food will appear.


May 3, 2005
I noticed I seldom frequent buffets nowadays. I wonder if it was the experience of college dorm food that quenched the desire to go to buffets. At the time, it seemed like I could get so much food, and yet, I hardly wanted any of it. I know I stopped going to those all you can eat salad bars after my college dining commons experience. And it used to be that I could stuff myself silly. Maybe my stomach just can't take it anymore - gorging myself to no end. It's part of the shifting changes to our bodies as we age, or maybe just the change in mindset that less sometimes is enough.


March 14, 2005
It's always interesting what stereotypes have been created and how they began. Food stereotypes continue to persist. Chinese food is associated with MSG, sweet and sour dishes, and wontons. Mexican food is often thought of as beans and burritos. Japanese food is sushi. Thai food is satay and curry. American food is meat loaf and fried chicken. In reality, there's just so much more. Many regions have large varieties of seafood. Asian countries especially China, Japan, Thailand, and the like have lots of seafood to offer. Mexico also offers a lot of seafood. Fortunately, people seem to be more savvy with ethnic food nowadays, and as more people become acquainted with different flavors, hopefully a better quality of food will appear.


February 22, 2005
California has completely spoiled me in terms of the dining experience. With the requirement that restaurants be non-smoking, I had forgotten how second hand smoke inhibits my senses. As the people at the table next to me chain smoked through their entire meal, I became obsessed with trying to block the smoke from entering my nostrils, and was entirely unsuccessful. I could no longer fully smell the aroma of the food I was eating, nor could I enjoy the meal without the taste of smoke in my mouth. Granted, there's good smoke and bad smoke. Smoke from a smoker containing salmon or chicken is one thing. For me, being a non-smoker, cigarette smoke just doesn't compliment a meal. Restaurants that think having a smoking and non-smoking section separated by a planter box is effective - well, I have more thoughts than I can write about. Being back home helps me appreciate the smoke free restaurant environments. Alas, to breathe clean air again (at least while dining).


February 4, 2005
Fun food is often some of the best food. Did you notice that when you have to build it yourself (build your own sundaes, mu shu pork, nachos, or whatever it may be) that you have a great time with those around you and the food just tastes better? I had some wonderful wraps recently. Not only was it a new experience in ethnic food, but it was a new way to see this dish served in a restaurant and a new cultural experience. I left the restaurant with my spirits lifted, not only because my stomach was full, but I had gained new insights into a different culture. I also gained a whole new meaning to the words 'food pyramid'.

No comments:

Post a Comment