Friday, December 3, 2010

Michelin Ratings

The Michelin rating - it's a highly regarded rating system that people recognize world-wide. Just when I started thinking that a meal at a restaurant with a Michelin star was equivalent to forking over my life savings, or somewhere thereabouts, I encountered the least expensive Michelin-rated restaurant - Tim Ho Wan in Hong Kong (review coming soon).

Isn't Michelin the company that sells tires? Why yes they do! However, the Michelin guide, first published in France in 1900, to help make travel easier, now covers 23 different countries. Restaurants (and hotels) are anonymously evaluated on unpublished criteria and now there seems to be a cult following amongst foodies to try out restaurants with this acclaimed rating.

Interested in knowing if any restaurants in your own backyard are Michelin-starred?
Michelin 2011 Starred Restaurants, San Francisco Bay Area

And something new to me, but maybe not to you:
Michelin 2011 Bib Gourmand, San Franicsco Bay Area
For $40 or less, you can enjoy two courses and wine or dessert. I don't know if this is really the case as those restaurants listed that I have dined at don't seem to fit the bill - sure you can get out for less than $40, but you're not really ordering much more than an entree and one more dish, at least that's the case in my experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment