Friday, December 31, 2010

Tommy Salsa - Mexican, Novato

553 South Novato Blvd # F, Novato, CA 94947
(415) 898-1351
Parking: in shopping center parking lot

Last Visited: December 5, 2010

Food: 2 to 3 stars
Atmosphere: 2 to 3 stars
Service: 2 to 3 stars
Price: $ to $$

I have been to Tommy Salsa twice, once on a weekday and once on a Sunday. Martha recommended it since she often comes for lunch. After doing some yelping, I found out that the fish tacos are the thing to get, so of course, that's what I ordered the first time.

Next to the salsa bar and soda fountain is the main counter. The menu is posted on large boards with printing on top of a background featuring a giant chili pepper. Combinations, quesadillas, burritos, and tacos are the main features. Just behind the counter, you can see the window to the kitchen and the folks at work back there.

The place has a lot of windows and has more of a coffee shop atmosphere versus a restaurant atmosphere. The color scheme is forest green and brown. It's kept very clean with not much decoration. There were fresh flowers, the kind you get at Trader Joe's, in pots on the window sills and two televisions are on in the dining area. Mexican music plays quite loudly over the speakers.

After ordering, you are given a number to place at your table. Once your dish is ready, the server brings it by and collects the number.

- Two Fish Tacos Combination - People seem to really like the fish tacos, so I went for one traditional one with a soft tortilla and one in a hard shell. The fish is fried and served with lettuce, cheese, pico de gallo, and a piece of lime. While both were good, I like the one in the crunchy shell better - maybe it was because of the mouth feel. The beans were good - fairly standard, but I really had an aversion to the rice. It seemed that there was an intense garlic flavor that was overpowering the rice, and I didn't want to eat any more of it. While some rave about the fish tacos, I would say they're okay. $7.95

- Quesadilla and Taco Combination - As with all of the combos, you get your choice of meat - carnitas, al pastor, and beef just to name a few. The quesadilla comes out very hot and crispy on the outside. It's pretty standard - not wow, not bad. With the taco, we again chose fish. See comements above that apply here also.

- Enchilada Combination - The enchilada tortilla was not as soft as at some of the other places I have had enchiladas and not as soft as the ones I make at home. The flavor of the sauce was also just okay.

Most combinations run around $8 to $10. While the quantity of the food is abundant, I just don't walk away raving about any particular dish. If I were to go back, I would probably stick with the fish tacos or just order a burrito.

As for service, the first time I visited on a weekday, the service was fine - nothing outstanding in a good or bad way. The reason I gave a lower service rating is primariy related to my second visit. We didn't know that they opened at noon and when we tried to open the door at 11:50am, even though it was raining outside, the staff member inside wouldn't open the door for us. While I can understand how one may not want to open, I think when it's raining outside, you can either pleasantly tell people you'll be open in a few minutes or just let them in and have them wait in the dining area.

While I understand the draw for the high school students whom go to school nearby, I think the food here is just okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment