Thursday, July 14, 2011

Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream - San Francisco

1447 Taraval St, San Francisco CA 94116
(415) 731-2833
Parking: street parking

Last Visited: July 13, 2011

Food: 4 stars
Atmosphere: N/A
Service: 4 stars
Price: $ to $$

I had heard about Marco Polo some time back when I was looking for ice cream places in San Francisco, and one weekend recently, it was one of those 90 degree days where the weather was gorgeous.  It was the perfect setting for an ice cream treat, and our friends, the Tams, said we absolutely had to go try it.  With their high praise, we just had to go. 

Marco Polo is a small shop and despite the word Italian on the front, it offers a ton of gelato in Asian flavors.  Their menu includes lychee, mango, soursop, durian, jackfruit, sesame, chestnut, taro, cantaloupe, red bean, coconut, and more typical fare like vanilla bean, fresh strawberry, double chocolate, and mocha chip too. 

Small - 1 to 2 flavors $3.3.5
Medium - 1 to 3 flavors $5.25
Large - 1 to 4 flavors $5.85
Pints - starting at $9

The gelato is rich and creamy, but know that you're getting gelato and not ice cream.  During my first visit, I tried cantaloupe and lychee, and for my second visit, I tried pistachio and sesame.  The cantaloupe is an absolute delight - so refreshing and full of cantaloupe flavor - I didn't know it was going to be so incredible.  The lychee and sesame are just as you expect them to be - also very good.  I've made sesame ice cream at home and this flavor was just as wonderful.  The pistachio was my least favorite - maybe I just prefer this flavor in ice cream more than in gelato form.  

The options of plain, sugar, and waffle cone are also available.  I really enjoyed the fresh flavors and unique offerings of Marco Polo.  Service is friendly and they're very patient with kids.  The music can be interesting - Chinese pop, but it does seem fitting with the Asian flavors.  This is a great stop on any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment