Monday, July 4, 2011

Icon Grill - American, Seattle

1933 Fifth Ave, Seattle WA 98101
(206) 441-6330
Parking: street parking
Hours: Mon - Thurs 11am - 11pm, Fri 11am - Midnight, Sat 10am - Midnight, Sun 10am - 11pm

Last Visited: March 30, 2011

Food: 3 stars
Atmosphere: 4 stars
Service: 3 stars
Price: $$ to $$$$

I was in Seattle for a short stay at a hotel across the street from Icon.  Since I got in somewhat late, I decided to order takeout and relax back at the hotel.  When I got inside Icon, I was surprised at how much blown glasswork was displayed.  The ceiling is a feast for the eyes with lamps and lots of bowl shaped wonders.  The stairwell in the middle of the dining room creates these great lines that lead your eyes towards the ceiling.  If you like your environments clutter free, this is pretty much the opposite of that where no matter where you look, the decor is filled with color and lights.

Service would have gotten a better rating  if it hadn't been for the hostess.  I found her tone and demeanor to be very stuffy and not particularly welcoming.  When I told her I wanted to order takeout, she didn't seem too happy about it, but directed me to the bar to look at the menu.  The bartender was very professional and did a great job managing the couple of us ordering takeout, fielding drink orders for the dining room, and serving those at the bar. 

The portions are good, but there were a few surprises. 

- Caesar Salad - Romaine lettuce is dressed in caesar dressing and with it, comes parmesan, garlic croutons, and Asiago cheese doodles.  The cheese doodles aren't small like you might expect.  Instead, they are gigantic cracker like things - notice how they take up almost half of the salad.  The salad is fairly standard.  It's these doodles that were way too cheesy for me - a quarter of the doodle that was given would hav ebeen plenty.  I found the quantity to be overwhelming and only managed to take a few bites of the doodle.  Okay.  $5.99

- Warm Granny Smith Apple Pie - The menu describes it as having a brown sugar and streusel crust and topped with a scoop of Olympic Mountain vanilla bean ice cream and caramel sauce.  That's accurate for the most part.  The apples are sliced thin and stacked layers upon layers.  The outer crust was flaky and good.  It was quite delicious until I got to the surprise.  There is cheddar cheese in the bottom crust, and a lot of it too.  Had it been mentioned, I would have been okay with it, but it's a bizarre surprise if you don't know it's coming.  The cheddar made the dish incredibly rich and while the quantity is enough for two, the cheese became overwhelming. $7.99

The food was okay, and the decor was nice, but the cheese in these two dishes were a little too strong.  I would have preferred that they at least mention the cheddar in the pie in the menu description.  It also took a while for the food to be available, probably 20 minutes, which seems a bit long for salad and a pie.  Also, maybe it's because I'm from California, but I found the reception of the servers to be a bit on the cold side. 

No comments:

Post a Comment