Thursday, June 30, 2011

Max of the Philippines - Vallejo

3555 Sonoma Blvd, Vallejo CA 94590
(707) 643-9600
Parking: in shopping center parking lot
http://www.maxssf.com/locations.shtml

Last Visited: September 20, 2007

Food: 2 stars
Atmosphere: 2 stars
Service: 2 to 3 stars
Price: $ to $$$

I had watched a Bay Area news program that had introduced Max’s in the South Bay for good food. I vaguely remember the emphasis being on dessert, but they did mention that other items were worthy of trying as well. When I saw Max’s in Vallejo, I was pretty excited to check out some new dishes.

Service was fair for the most part. When we walked in, we stood waiting at the front counter for a while even though there was a server available. Although she was occupied, there was no “I’ll be with you in a second” and not even a smile. Upon arriving at our seats, it took a long time before anyone came to take our order. I think it was at least 20 minutes from sitting down before our water arrived, and the restaurant wasn’t particularly busy. The delay for service seemed to be present for all patrons.

- Max’s Teaser - The teaser includes fried calamari and fried lumpia. It’s accompanied with a sweet and sour sauce as well as white vinegar served in plastic cups. The calamari was fine with both tentacles and rings. The lumpia was crispy. This dish would receive 3 stars. $7.95

- Pancit Palabok – After having homemade palabok, it’s hard to compare homestyle against anybody’s, but this palabok was extremely disappointing. By the time it reached our table, it was lukewarm. There were few ingredients on it – a few slices of egg, very little pork, and worst of all, since the temperature was so cold, the lard used to make the sauce had begun to coagulate. Very disappointing. 1 star. $7.95

I found my experience to be extremely disappointing. The only reason I would go back would be for their rather large looking desserts or drinks, but I wouldn’t order food here again. Sadly, Max of the Philippines left a poor in poor impression on my mind, from food to service, leaving my cravings for good Filipino food unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment