Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Banhwich - Vietnamese, San Francisco

1105 Taraval St, San Francisco CA 94116
(415) 665-2233
Parking: street parking

Last Visited: July 13, 2011

Food: 2 to 3 stars
Atmosphere: 2 stars
Service: 2 to 3 stars
Price: $

I was trying to avoid traffic on the way home one night and decided to stop into Bahnwich, mostly because it's located near Marco Polo Italian Ice Cream and I figured I would be close to dessert.  While I had read some reviews about it being a small shop that is frequented by youth from the nearby school and that the cashier looks like she's twelve, I wasn't deterred.  I used to work at my parent's family business and I too was often mistaken for much younger than I was. 

In any case, I came with an open mind and a hungry stomach.  I walked in and saw a very cluttered setup.  The menu was displayed on a sign above the main counter and there were stools next to the counter by the   window.   Behind the main counter and in the rear of the store, there was stacks of stuff piled up on top of each other.  While I can appreciate that it's a family business, there were a few things that were offputting.  The clutter could have been hidden behind a curtain.  The young girl behind the counter was watching television and never even said hello.  Her father was very fast at preparing my order which is why I even gave them a two to three star rating for service, but there is a lot of opportunity for improving customer service as a whole.

- Barbecue Pork Banh Mi - The meat was microwaved and put into a toasted roll along with the pickled carrots and fresh cilantro.  The pork was well flavored and juicy, but had a few tendons in it.  At these prices, it's a great value and the food is satisfying. $3.80

I wouldn't mind paying even a dollar more for this if the service were better.  As is, I would consider stopping back if I were in the area, but it's not a place I would go out of my way to patronize.  Service like this is barely tolerable when the food is good.  Hopefully they recognize this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment